I Got Sleeved!

So, I got sleeved 4 days ago!!!



Once I got past the 11th / 12th day emotional dip, the last two days of pre-surgery liquid diet just went by so fast.

I arrived at the hospital in the morning feeling slightly nervous but mostly excited. I've been waiting for close to a year for this moment and I must say the long waiting period really helped with my mental state. I was ready and I just wanted to get it over with.

FYI, my weight on the day of the surgery was 97.9 kg. That means I lost a total of 6.1 kg in two weeks. I was so happy because I was finally under 100 kg, which is my immediate goal in this weight loss journey.

So, on to the surgery, I must say the worst part of it all was when they had to put the IV line in me. I have fine, deep veins and it has always been fucking hell when they need to draw blood or put in an IV line. The doc had to put numbing agent and I could still feel it when she was putting the needle in and moving it around to search for the vein. Ugh.

After that, they wheeled me into the OR and that's when the reality hit me, I was about to get sleeved!! And then it all happened so fast. I remember someone putting an oxygen mask on me and the anesthesiologist reached over, telling me that she was putting the drug in. I remember thinking 'what will happen next?' and then everything went dark, like someone flipped a switch or something. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery.

I didn't get the terrible gas pain that everyone is talking about, I only felt it in my upper stomach the moment I woke up from anesthesia. Even though I was still groggy, I instinctively got up and sat on the bed while leaning forward hugging a pillow, then I gently tapped my back, shoulder, and neck to encourage burping. I burped A LOT but with each burp, the gas discomfort got less and less intense.

By the time they wheeled me out of recovery and into the ward, I was feeling much, much better. The weird thing is, they didn't get me to start walking right away. I spent my day 1 post-op in bed even though I was feeling fine.

Every single member of my medical team who visited me looked very pleased with how the surgery went. The 2 weeks pre-op diet hell seems so worth it when you see how happy everyone is. I felt this sense of accomplishment and it could only encourage me to keep up with what I'm doing and be better.

The pain in the incision sites is very minimal, akin to sore muscles after exercise. In fact, I once had sore muscle pain much worse than this.

On day 2 post-op, my IV line was causing my arm to get swollen. It was so painful. I've always had this issue for reasons I stated above, thankfully the nurse saw how miserable I was and she quickly removed it. Once the IV line was off, I was able to move more freely, which was great.

My blood pressure on Day 1 post-op was still quite high that my doc asked me to take my hypertension med. I haven't had the need to take it anymore so far, hopefully my blood pressure will stabilize. My blood sugar was also quite high on Day 1 but it gradually lowered to normal range. I no longer take my diabetes meds now.

My urine output was good and the color was clear, so that's good.

I was finally discharged in the morning of Day 2 post-op. All in all, I had a very good experience so far.

Fino alla fine!

Comments