Liquid Diet Day #11

Today is especially rough, I'm getting really, really bored of all the foods I'm allowed to eat (Optifast, protein shakes, light cranberry juice, broths) that it's really testing my willpower.



Well, you know what? I broke.

I couldn't take it anymore, thinking about another protein shakes or broths just made me sick. I needed to taste something different so I put my brain to work. I figured, the point of this whole liquid diet is about texture and caloric intake. So, if I could find something else that would end up in similar texture in my stomach and keep the daily caloric intake below 800 calories, I think it'll work.

So, after reading up about other pre-surgery diet where they allow the patient to still have solids such as lean meats and vegetables, I think it's safe to eat something low calorie, high protein, and in soft, almost liquid texture that is not on the list my dietitian gave me.

I settled on silken tofu, which is silky smooth and melts in your mouth, and it has only 40 calories for 100g, and that's a substantial chunk. I added about 3/4 tbsp of organic red miso which has 25 calories to flavor the broth and my goodness, what a delicious, delicious change it was.

I thought I could go back to the sweet protein shakes for dinner but turned out, I couldn't. So I searched the supermarket high and low for something that could substitute that and lo and behold, I found locally made pumpkin soup which was dairy-free and only had 59 (!!) calories per serving. The texture is almost like protein shake so I think it counts as liquid meal.

After that, I somehow still felt hungry, so I had another 100g of silken tofu, seasoned with 3/4 tbsp of red miso diluted in a small amount of beef broth. I'm sure the whole thing has less than 100 calories but oh, it was so satisfying.

I may still eat tofu and velvet vegetable soup tomorrow, but plan on going back to the 'approved diet' on day #13 and #14. I think I can do that.

Fino alla fine!

Comments