Minimalist Living Part II

Following my post yesterday on minimalist living, I feel like I still have more things to say on the matter.


So, it is true that I live in a 6x5m room which includes two small built-in cabinets and an attached bathroom with a bathtub. I share the room with my girlfriend of 11 years and we share the apartment with our landlord and another tenant.

I've been living this way for 8 years and at first it was tough simply because there was this discord between what I wanted and what I actually needed.

I wanted my own apartment with my own living room and kitchen, but the simple fact was that I couldn't afford it yet, and I still can't, and this room is actually what I need in order for me to be able to save up some money to eventually afford my own place.

I think some of you can't imagine how I've managed to live in a 6x5m space for 8 years and trust me, if you had told me this 10 years ago, I'd have been very depressed. I think many of us were raised with the notion that a proper house and a car were the hallmarks of success, and to still rent only a room - not even the whole apartment - when you're 32, on paper doesn't exactly scream success.

But here's the funny thing: when I take out what other people think out of the equation and be really honest with myself, I kinda love how things are right now.

My apartment building is rather old (about 20 years old), which is considered very old where I live, where land is scarce and everything gets torn down every few years to make way for new buildings. My building doesn't have a swanky landscape, pool, or gym, just a very normal one. The decor and finishes are rather old-fashioned and not really in a good way, but if you are willing to look past all the superficial factors, my building has everything I could ask for from a property.

Number one on the list is the location which is at the city fringe, which means it is close enough to the city without things being too hectic and expensive, but it is also not isolated at some faraway land that it feels like I'm cut off from civilization. In addition to that, it is literally next to the train station hub, so it is a breeze to go anywhere. And despite being an old building, it is actually well-maintained, and most people staying here are not the flashy type, which I like.

And while some of you could not imagine living in a 6x5m room with only 2 small built-in cabinets that I share with my girlfriend (I was one of you, trust!), the truth of the matter is, I still find myself owning more stuff than I can handle and I am constantly purging the room and throwing away things. All. The. Time.

Some people would feel suffocated with so little space but in the end, I find it very liberating. Instead of finding a bigger space to hold my ever-expanding junk, I have to adjust to the available space and by doing that, I force myself to really think of what's important and what's not, and in the end you learn that you actually don't need a lot to live. Those basic needs we learned at school? They weren't just some baseless ideas. We really just need a roof over our heads, clothes, and food. Ideally, we'll have our own money to be able to provide ourselves with those things. Any other things we think we need are just an extra, stuff that may be good to have but you can definitely live without.

Comments